If you can measure it, you can optimize it
VirtualWisdom provides historical and real-time SAN performance dashboards. Use this information to fine-tune SAN configurations for performance and maintain SLAs.
Using VirtualWisdom to improve SAN configurations
Here are just a few of the ways to put VirtualWisdom to work for SAN performance optimization.
- Identify failed multi-pathing
- Identify failed links (single paths) as well as less critical issues such as active/passive configurations.
- Measure storage virtualization performance impact
- Establish a baseline to measure the exact performance impact of storage virtualization.
- Validate new technologies and migrations
- Accelerate deployments by providing real-time visibility to rollouts, and eliminate the risk of configuration problems or version incompatibilities in multi-vendor components. This 35 minute on-demand webcast explains how to de-risk migrations.
- Measure performance impact of configuration changes
- Baseline and measure performance before and after changes, including zoning, LUN mapping, and VSAN modifications. Perform "what if" forecasting by applying configuration changes to historical data. See this tech brief for more information.
- Plan FC SAN networking capacity
- Make better capacity decisions using VirtualWisdom's trending analysis for dynamic resource loads.
- Find best backup windows
- Find "quiet" times to run backups to speed jobs and avoid contention on the SAN.
- Find unused or under-utilized LUNs
- Identify LUNs that are rarely or never accessed, to free up space or move them to less expensive storage.
- Reduce risk of implementing a cloud computing model
- VirtualWisdom instruments, monitors and measures the cloud infrastructure to see how it affects applications. For more information, see this whitepaper and this tech brief.