Physical De-Risk Data Center Consolidation
The Role of Storage Optimization in Data Center Consolidation
The amount of data being stored is growing rapidly, but resources to manage it are not. Storage consolidation is a critical component of most data center consolidation efforts. But any changes to storage bring risk to application performance and availability.
What VirtualWisdom brings to consolidation projects
Virtual Instruments reduces the risks of storage and data center consolidation.
- It assesses the entire physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure, both before and after consolidation. It analyzes and captures real-time data about capacity, utilization and performance for every layer of the application stack.
- Real-time monitoring, measurement, correlation and alerting detect problems before users are affected. You can meet SLA commitments during and after the consolidation.
- "What if" forecasting based on performance data supports better decisions about storage configuration.
Best practices for data center and storage consolidation
Using VirtualWisdom, you can implement the following best practices to reduce performance and availability risks during consolidation:
- Baseline the current (pre-consolidation) environment with real-time I/O monitoring and measurement
- Create an application profile that characterizes infrastructure performance
- Optimize storage tiering strategy based on measured SAN performance
- Ensure availability and reduce risk by monitoring the entire consolidation process
- Optimize storage network provisioning using historical traffic analysis
- Measure performance and availability SLAs after consolidation
- Accelerate problem resolution with real-time data on the changing infrastructure